Friday, August 1, 2008

Woman footballer from back water to international field

Gulti Chowdhury, a girl of a remote Brahmacherra village in Tripura’s West district has made her village proud by acquiring a berth in the Indian women’s football team and representing the country twice.

Gulti, who happily joined the rough and tumble of playing football with boys in her teens is the sole woman international footballer of Tripura.
"I love to play football. So I played with boys, because girls did not play football in my village", she said

Born in a poor farmer’s family she was the youngest of five children she was brought up uncared, but had a dream of playing football for the country.

"My aim in life was to play football for country. So, I worked hard in the field and tried to play like a boy", she said.

Gulti was spotted as a footballer by Sunil Sarkar, Physical Instructor of Teliamura School in 1999 while playing an exhibition match at Khowai town.
“Ranjan sir selected me for his team New Millennium Soccer Club. This was turning point of my life", Gulti said.

Gulti played first time in Women Football Tournament at Agartala in 2000. Her daring foot work led to her being selected her as a member of Tripura team.

"When I got selection for state team, I set my target to represent our country. I was very confident of hitting the target”, the woman footballer said.
In 2005, Gulti was selected first time for Indian Junior team for Asian Women Football Tournament in Seoul, South Korea.

"I was delighted because it was my dream which came true. I can’t forget this moment of my life", Gulti added.

After two years, Gulti represented Indian Senior team for Asian Tournament in 2007. She Said. ‘I want to play for my country".

No comments: